These crocus are the first flowers of 2011. Daffodils, tulips, and hyacinths have all started emerging too.
While I was outside with the camera, I captured a shot of my favorite Christmas present. Brian got me this cool bird bath. It has been sitting in the basement since Christmas, but last week we found it a home on the bank. I look forward to some good photo ops from my perch on Lane's bench (seen at the top of this picture).
Speaking of Christmas, this Christmas cactus is blooming again with another dazzling show. It sure brightens up the dining room at this dreary time of the year!
More than 4 and 20 blackbirds. At one point this morning I counted 30 red winged blackbirds. This is the first day I have seen them this year. It seems large numbers of these pretty birds migrate through here just before spring each year. Unfortunately, they are often quickly followed by grackles and usually they signal the end of my winter feeding.
Speaking of birds, yesterday Susan over at Farmgirl Fare highlighted the annual Great Backyard Bird Count. I had never heard of this before, but it is such a neat project. The count for 2011 ended yesterday, but you can download a list of birds by region and season and there are lots of links to explore. In just a few minutes on the site, I learned that the bird I had been calling a purple finch is actually a house finch. And I was finally able to name some of the sparrow species; well, at least I recognized their pictures. I'm a long way from being able to spot one and identify it, but with this web site as a resource, it may happen some day!




No comments:
Post a Comment