Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lambing continues

Lamb count: 3 sets of twins - 5 boys, 1 girl
Ewes that have lambed: 3
Ewes still to lamb: let's not go there...it's too early for that!

 Some heavy ewes in the drop pen.


 Upgrade to our feeding system. Using large round bales really cuts down on the amount of work to feed hay every day. And having this hay in the barn will protect it from rain so it shouldn't matter if it takes a long time for them to eat the whole thing.

This ewe only has twins, but apparently blackie is a bit greedy!
 The latest set of twins, out of first-time mama number 91. I have always liked the odd little black spots on her ears. It looks like someone with paint on their fingertips pinched her ear. These twin ram lambs were pretty similar in size and appeared to be all white at first glance. But I discovered the one has a tiny black dot on top of the tendon on his right rear leg. That's all I need, just one little key to keeping him straight from his brother! I'll use that marking until these lambs leave the jug. At that point, we spray paint their mama's number on their side so we can quickly match lambs to ewes. In about a week the lambs will also get ear tags for more permanent identification.
 

I woke the poor little guy up with all my picture taking.

1 comment:

  1. I want sheep! ;-) lambs are so sweet! I have serious barn envy!

    ReplyDelete